Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Ever been flown by a six year-old?


A flying boy!
Originally uploaded by Blue Blanket.

Here is my small nephew, taking the helm of a Piper Cherokee when we went flying over the South coast of England on Saturday afternoon. Okay, he was only in control for a minute or so (felt longer, believe me…) and my brother (ex RAF, currently Boeing pilot) was keeping a very close eye on him but I thought this picture was a bit of a hoot. Note, if you will, the top of his teddy bear’s head in his lap. What pilot do YOU know who flies with a bear called Barnaby?

We took off from Shoreham Airport, the UK’s oldest commercial one, it would appear. It has an amazing thirties feel to it and lots of small aircraft and helicopter activity. We flew out towards the Channel, over Brighton and then inland to the South Downs before heading back. It was a real kick. For me and my niece and nephew. And for someone who generally doesn’t like flying, that’s saying something.

No comments: